To me, the Waunakee Library is like the famed fictional bar, Cheers - sadly, without the beer - but ♫♪♫"sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows your name and they're always glad you came..."♫♪
They do ... and they are...
So, today I honored my first Pie It Forward recipients...the amazing Librarians of The Waunakee Public Library! Shown here are some of the librarians: Celine, Sarah, Jayne, Emily. Below: Susan, Jayne (again), Betsy.
They requested an April specialty pie from Hubbard Avenue Diner - the Apple Blueberry Cherry with double crust.
You may wonder why I chose the library and the librarians to receive the very first Pie It Forward pie? Here's a reason in pictures:
Even more importantly, have you ever stopped to consider the value of your local library? I have. In fact, there's a calculator to determine the worth of a community library.
My family and I utilize the library A LOT. (My daughter got her own library while she was still in the womb.) In fact, the value of the library based on our use is estimated to be $11,000+ PER YEAR.
|Library Materials & Services||Value of Your Use|
|120||Adult Books Borrowed||$2,040|
|240||YA Books Borrowed||$2,880|
|Childrens Books Borrowed|
|Interlibrary Loan Requests|
|Meeting Room Use (per hour)|
|3||Adult Program Attended||$45|
|3||Young Adult Program Attended||$36|
|Childrens Program Attended|
|Museum Passes Borrowed|
|416||Computer Use (per hour)||$4,992|
And, those are just the reasons that can be calculated. Other intangibles impossible to calculate are:
- Since I work from home, the library's a nice place to escape to when I need adult conversation or to work in a more business-like environment, away from the laundry and refrigerator, etc.
- The librarians recommend books and movies and music based on past items I've checked out.
- The overdue fines for books are 5 cents per day. 5 cents! What in the world can you get for a NICKEL these days?
- If I have a question on where to locate certain information, the librarians steer me to an appropriate resource.
- Here's another pictorial reason:
Thank you to librarians everywhere. And, thank you, Hubbard Avenue Diner for the pie.
Stay tuned to Episode #2 of Pie It Forward. The recipient is a young adult who was recently hospitalized with a relatively unknown disease called Lemierre's Syndrome, and has battled her way back to good health. Pie note: She has requested an apple pie.
(P.S. By the way, Waunakee is in dire need of a newer, larger library, post-haste. Let's get this done.)