Friday, April 18, 2014

Pie #2 - Ease The Pain


Today's post reminds me of a line from my favorite movie, "The Princess Bride."


Yeah, what a downer, huh?
But to some extent, I have to admit there's a hint of truth in it.


In fact, pain is an all-too-frequent, ubiquitous visitor in this journey called life. The only thing that seems to vary is how much - the depth of the pain - we're currently experiencing. Sometimes body parts hurt. Other times, our hearts are broken or our brains are filled with mental anguish. 

Today's pie recipients are a family who was recently involved in a life-altering, freakish accident that resulted in broken bones, concussions, and trauma of all kinds. And although it happened a few months ago, they continue to recover, both physically and emotionally.

While they are private people who wish to remain anonymous, the family was so grateful to receive a delicious Hubbard Avenue Diner pie. So, even though we don't have faces to put with this particular episode of The Year in Pie, I believe there are still some lessons to glean.

Here's what I've sussed out. When I encounter strangers who seem sad or angry or impatient, I must try not take it personally. I don't know what's going on in this person's life, and I certainly can't see their pain.

More simply stated: I don't need to know the details in order to treat them with kindness and patience. 


It bears repeating: Everyone is struggling, and to some degree, everyone is in pain. Don't think it's so? Take a little inventory of your loved ones. I did and I came away with this list:
  • A friend who is coping with her Mom's worsening dementia 
  • A family friend who has cancer
  • A young friend who is learning to walk again after experiencing temporary paralysis five months ago
  • Friends in the midst of divorces, job losses, children's crises
The list goes on and on. 

The magic wand I used to "fix" my baby's boo-boos seems to have lost its power for life's bigger "unfixable" challenges. More times than not, I find myself paralyzed and impotent with the big question of how to help my family and friends.

The $64,000 question has become, how do I help? Well, my first grade teacher always told me this, "Bloom where you are planted." I think this means I should do what I can, even if it seems small and insignificant. 

Now, I'm not naive enough to believe that pie can fix pain.

However, pie is what I am able to provide in terms of a bit of relief. Pie, in its own special way, provides its own personal message. The gift of pie humbly says, "Here. I made this for you. I made this with my own hands, and while I'm not perfect, the love baked into it is."

Today's Duo of Silks pie from Hubbard Avenue Diner was served with a side of several hugs. Be well, my friends...and just for this moment, enjoy the pie.

The Duo of Silks - A combination of Chocolate & Peanut Butter

No comments:

Post a Comment