Sunday, August 3, 2014

Pie #8 - It was Cherry and it Broke my Heart


It's been over a month since I delivered a pie. In fact, I remember the date well. It was Tuesday, June 17.

My friend, Cindy, had requested a cherry pie, which wasn't actually her favorite flavor. Turns out, she'd selflessly asked me to bring her husband Mike's favorite. 

Because that was Cindy. She always gave of herself, whether it was to her husband, her girls, her family, her friends or her 1st graders. In fact, the photo below shows exactly the kind of loving, nurturing teacher and human being Cindy was.
Cindy & my daughter, Hannah (then a 1st grader in 2006)

Yes, I used the word "was." 

Yesterday, we said goodbye to Cindy at a lovely funeral service. In December, she'd been diagnosed with brain cancer, and she passed away far too soon on Saturday, July 26.

In sad times such as these, the phrase "they left the world a better place" is bandied about far too often. 

But in Cindy's case it, the phrase fits perfectly. My now teenage daughter is a better student from having learned from her in 1st grade. I also know that I am a better person for having known her and called her friend. The church yesterday was filled with many who could claim the same. 

The pie delivery visit was the last time I saw my friend. And, while I believe pie can bring happiness and perhaps, sometimes change the world, too, it just can't fix grief.

I miss her so.

No comments:

Post a Comment